Surrey MPhys Research Year
Surrey MPhys student Brennan Hackett (left)
at the High Flux Isotope Reactor, Oak Ridge
The Research Year is a compulsory and integral part of the four year Integrated Master's degree programme in Physics (MPhys) at the University of Surrey. Our students on the MPhys programme work directly for a master's degree, not stopping to "cash-in" for a bachelor's degree after three years. A distinguishing feature of all Master's in Physics degrees in the UK system is that they must involve some element of research. Distinctively at Surrey we require our students to go on a year-long placement, roughly over a calendar year (starting on day 1 of semester 2 of year 3 and ending typically just before Christmas, but no later than the end of semester 1 of year 4; see the University Key Dates page for current semester dates) to gain this research experience.
This web-site exists more to advertise the programme to external hosts than anything else. If you are a prospective student thinking of studying for the Surrey MPhys Physics, please see the main University website. If you are a current MPhys student or member of staff at Surrey, seeking information about assessments etc, please consult your MPhys Research Year Handbook and/or the SurreyLearn module.
Hosting an MPhys student
We are grateful to all our placement hosts for agreeing to take our students, for looking after them, and for providing them with an opportunity to undertake cutting edge research in an area of physics.
When out students go out on placement, they have completed two and a half years of bachelor's study, specialising from the beginning in physics, as is usual in the UK system. The students have a general physics background, including considerable experience in the laboratory and with computer programming. The number of credits obtained by the time students go out on placement are enough to be awarded a BSc degree, though they are not formally awarded a degree until the completion of their full MPhys programme.
The students are able to perform genuinely useful research work. A selected list of research publications is given towards the end of this page covering research work in which the students were involved. In many cases these are first author publications of our students for work peformed during their research years.
Our students are usually paid a stipend by their hosts which is equivalent to a funded PhD studentship, though other arrangements are made as circumstances dictate. For European placements, the Erasmus scheme may form the bulk of funding, in the form of an Erasmus traineeship grant, which is organised from the Surrey end and does not require a reciprocal arrangement.
Past placement hosts include The UK National Physical Laboratory, the Rutherford-Appleton Laboratory, the UK Atomic Weapons Establishment, the University of Notre Dame, the University of Massachusetts Lowell, the University of Richmond Virginia, Texas A&M University, the Australian National University, LPC Caen, the University of Marburg, the University of Dallas, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Symetrica Ltd, Royal Surrey County Hospital, TRIUMF.
For further information or if you have any questions, please contact Paul Stevenson <email@example.com>.
A FAQ written by Dr Robert Izzard geared partly towards students seeking astronomy or astrophysics placmeents is here.
Selected publications of Surrey MPhys students
Underlined authors indicate Surrey MPhys research year students. Publications below reflect work conducted by the students during their research years.
- "Optical functions and critical points of dilute bismide alloys studied by spectroscopic ellipsometry", Z. L. Bushell, R. M. Joseph, L. Nattermann, P.. Ludewig, K. Volz, J. L. Keddie, and S. J. Sweeney, J. Appl. Phys. 123, 045701 (2018)
- "Interplay of charge clustering and weak binding in reactions of 8Li", K. J. Cook, I. P. Carter, E. C. Simpson, M. Dasgupta, D. J. Hinde, L. T. Bezzina, Sunil Kalkal, C. Sengupta, C. Simenel, B. M. A. Swinton-Bland, K. Vo-Phuoc, and E. Williams, Phys. Rev. C. 97, 021691(R) (2018)
- "Protected ground states in short chains of coupled spins in circuit quantum electrodynamics", Adam Callison, Eytan Grosfeld, and Eran Ginossar, Phys. Rev. B 96, 085121 (2017)
- "Capture cross sections on unstable nuclei", A. P. Tonchev, J. E. Escher, N. Scielzo, P. Bedrossian, R. S. Ilieva, P. Humby, N. Cooper, P. M. Goddard, V. Werner, W. Tornow, G. Rusev, J. H. Kelley, N. Pietralla, M. Scheck, D. Savran, B. Löher, S. W. Yates, B. P. Crider, E. E. Peters, N. Tsoneva, and S. Goriely, EPJ Web of Conferences, 146, 01013 (2017)
- "Recent advances in β-decay spectroscopy at CARIBU", A. J. Mitchell, P. Copp, G. Savard, C. J. Lister, G. J. Lane, M. P. Carpenter, J. A. Clark, S. Zhu, A. D. Ayangeakaa, S. Bottoni, T. B. Brown, P. Chowdhury, T. W. Chillery, H. M. David, D. J. Hartley, E. Heckmaier, R. V. F. Janssens, K. Kolos, F. G. Kondev, T. Lauritsen, E. A. McCutchan, E. B. Norman, S. Padgett, N. D. Scielzo, D. Seweryniak, M. L. Smith, and G. L. Wilson, EPJ Web of Conferences 123, 04006 (2016)
- "High-precision Gamma-ray Analysis of Medical Isotopes", N. Chopra, T. Chillery, E. McCutchan, P. Chowdhury, C. Smith, and C. Lister, Medical Physics 43 3399 (2016)
- "The PROSPECT physics program", J Ashenfelter, A B Balantekin, H R Band, G Barclay, C D Bass, D Berish, L Bignell, N S Bowden, A Bowes, J P Brodsky, C D Bryan, J J Cherwinka, R Chu, T Classen, K Commeford, A J Conant, D Davee, D Dean, G Deichert, M V Diwan, M J Dolinski, J Dolph, M DuVernois, A S Erickson, M T Febbraro, J K Gaison, A Galindo-Uribarri, K Gilje, A Glenn, B W Goddard, M Green, B T Hackett, K Han, S Hans, K M Heeger, B Heffron, J Insler, D E Jaffe, D Jones, T J Langford, B R Littlejohn, D A Martinez Caicedo, J T Matta, R D McKeown, M P Mendenhall, P E Mueller, H P Mumm, J Napolitano, R Neilson, J A Nikkel, D Norcini, D Pushin, X Qian, E Romero, R Rosero, B S Seilhan, R Sharma, S Sheets, P T Surukuchi, C Trinh, R L Varner, B Viren, W Wang, B White, C White, J Wilhelmi, C Williams, T Wise, H Yao, M Yeh, Y-R Yen, G Z Zangakis, C Zhang, X Zhang, and The PROSPECT Collaboration J. Phys. G: Nucl. Part. Phys. 43 113001 (2016)
- "Effect of ground-state deformation on isoscalar giant resonances in 28Si", T. Peach, U. Garg, Y. K. Gupta, J. Hoffman, J. T. Matta, D. Patel, P. V. Madhusudhana Rao, K. Yoshida, M. Itoh, M. Fujiwara, K. Hara, H. Hashimoto, K. Nakanishi, M. Yosoi, H. Sakaguchi, S. Terashima, S. Kishi, T. Murakami, M. Uchida, Y. Yasuda, H. Akimune, T. Kawabata, M. N. Harakeh, and G. Colò, Phys. Rev. C 93, 064325 (2016)
- "Thermodynamic temperature assignment to the point of inflection of the melting curve of high-temperature fixed points", E. R. Woolliams, K. Anhalt, M. Ballico, P. Bloembergen, F. Bourson, S. Briaudeau, J. Campos, M. G. Cox, D. del Campo, W. Dong, M. R. Dury, V. Gavrilov, I. Grigoryeva, M. L. Hernanz, F. Jahan, B. Khlevnoy, V. Khromchenko, D. H. Lowe, X. Lu, G. Machin, J. M. Mantilla, M. J. Martin, H. C. McEvoy, B. Rougié, M. Sadli, S. G. R. Salim, N. Sasajima, D. R. Taubert, A. D. W. Todd, R. Van den Bossche, E. van der Ham, T. Wang, A. Whittam, B. Wilthan, D. J. Woods, J. T. Woodward, Y. Yamada, Y. Yamaguchi, H. W. Yoon, Z. Yuan, Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. A 374, 20150044 (2016)
- "Deformation effects on isoscalar giant resonances in 24Mg", Y. K. Gupta, U. Garg, J. Hoffman, J. Matta, P. V. Madhusudhana Rao, D. Patel, T. Peach, K. Yoshida, M. Itoh, M. Fujiwara, K. Hara, H. Hashimoto, K. Nakanishi, M. Yosoi, H. Sakaguchi, S. Terashima, S. Kishi, T. Murakami, M. Uchida, Y. Yasuda, H. Akimune, T. Kawabata, and M. N. Harakeh, Phys. Rev. C 93, 044324 (2016)
- "Splitting of ISGMR strength in the light-mass nucleus 24Mg due to ground-state deformation", Y. K. Gupta, U. Garg, J. T. Matta, D. Patel, T. Peach, J. Hoffmana, K. Yoshida, M. Itoh, M. Fujiwara, K. Hara, H. Hashimoto, K. Nakanishi M. Yosoi, H. Sakaguchi, S. Terashima, S. Kishi, T. Murakami, M. Uchida, Y. Yasuda, H. Akimune, T. Kawabata, and M. N. Harakeh, Phys. Lett. B, 748, 343 (2015)
- "Validating (d,pγ) as a Surrogate for Neutron Capture", A. Ratkiewicz, J.A. Cizewski, S.D. Pain, A.S. Adekola, J.T. Burke, R.J. Casperson, N. Fotiades, M. McCleskey, S. Burcher, C.M. Shand, R.A.E. Austin, T. Baugher, M.P. Carpenter, M. Devlin, J.E. Escher, S. Hardy, R. Hatarik, M.E. Howard, R.O. Hughes, K.L. Jones, R.L. Kozub, C.J. Lister, B. Manning, J.M. O’Donnell, W.A. Peters, T.J. Ross, N.D. Scielzo, D. Seweryniak and S. Zhu, EPJ Web of Conferences, 93, 02012 (2015)
- "Optical fibre techniques for use within tamper indicating enclosures designed for arms control verification purposes", Thomas C. Dyer, Alexander W. J. Thompson, Paul Wynn, and Helen White, SPIE Proceedings 9249, 924906 (2014)
- "Physical properties and optimization of GaBiAs/(Al)GaAs based near-infrared laser diodes grown by MOVPE with up to 4.4% Bi", I. P. Marko, P. Ludewig, Z. L. Bushell, S. R. Jin, K. Hild, Z. Batool, S. Reinhard, L. Nattermann, W. Stolz, K. Volz, and S. J. Sweeney, J. Phys. D: Applied Physics, 47, 345103 (2014)
- "Growth and characterisation of Ga(NAsBi) alloy by metal–organic vapour phase epitaxy", Z. L. Bushell, P. Ludewig, N. Knaub, Z. Batool, K. Hild, W. Stolz, S. J. Sweeney, and K. Volz, J. Cryst. Growth 396, 79 (2014)
- "Growth of Ga(AsBi) on GaAs by continuous flow MOVPE", P. Ludewig, Z. L. Bushell, L. Nattermann, N. Knaub, W. Stolz, and K. Volz, J. Cryst. Growth 396, 95-99 (2014)
- "The Electric Dipole Response of 76Se Above 4 MeV", P. M. Goddard, N. Cooper, V. Werner, G. Rusev, P. D. Stevenson, A. Rios, C. Bernards, A. Chakraborty, B. Crider, J. Glorius, R. S. Ilieva, J. H. Kelley, E. Kwan, E. E. Peters, N. Pietralla, R. Raut, C. Romig, D. Savran, L. Schnorrenberger, M. K. Smith, K. Sonnabend, A. P. Tonchev, W. Tornow and S. W. Yates, Phys. Rev. C 88, 064308 (2013)